Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why I'm bent out of shape

To all my loyal readers, I want to apologize to both of you for not posting anything for awhile. As you know, football season just kicked off and, to be honest, I had my hands full last week with our football section.
I'm in a pretty fired-up mood, right now. I'll explain what happened and you tell me if I'm justifiably angry or just too uptight for my own good.
Okay, the football tab is divided into two 12-page sections. The first 12 pages are for El Dorado football with the next 12 for all the other county schools combined.
As the sports editor, I feel it's only right for me to do more than my fair share. As usual, I took it upon myself to fill up the first 12 pages of the section - all by myself - with no help from anyone.
I gave the other 12 pages to my TWO sports writers. I gave them no instructions other than, "you two guys get these 12 pages done."
Are you still with me? Let's recap, just in case. I'm doing 12 pages - half of the section. My TWO sports writers are to split the other 12 pages - presumably six pages apiece.
Due to rain, El Dorado pushes its scrimmages back a week. They only do two scrimmages in the preseason and the second one is a couple days before the football section is due. I always wait until the scrimmages are done before I talk to the coaches about the upcoming season so, as you can imagine, I'm running way behind to get my 12 pages done.
Of course, being the stud that I am, I get it done. That's what I do. I get stuff done. I was in the office until 3:30 in the morning, but I got my job done.
After I finished my 12 pages (half the section) I ask my TWO sports writers how their section was coming. I was assured by my TWO sports writers that everything was going well and the entire section would be finished by deadline.
I slept well that night, secure in the knowledge that the section was finished on time.
The next day, however, I received calls, emails and texts from the boss lady about the section. The pages were on the press being printed but, low and behold, there was no page 23.
Since I did the first 12 pages, page 23 would be in the section my TWO sports writers were responsible for. I immediately called both gentlemen and was surprised to hear that neither of them knew anything about Page 23.
Let me ask you this. How can TWO college-educated professionals put together pages 13-24 and neither of them know anything about Page 23? How exactly does that happen? How do you do Page 21, Page 22, Page 24 and not realize that something is missing?
Pardon my French by WHAT THE HELL?
Anyway, I race to the office, on my day off, and throw together a Page 23 for the section to get it finished.
Now, I ask each of you, is it me or would you be a little bent out of shape, too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home