Monday, July 07, 2008

You go Lizzee Babee

The very first time I met Elizabeth Wells, I liked her. Even as a sixth or seventh grader, however old she was when we were introduced, there was something about this golfing phenom that made me smile.
Maybe it was her swagger.
I like confidence. It's something I never really had but it's a trait I do admire in others.
Lizzee Babee Wells has confidence. She believes in her heart she's going to win every tournament. She felt that way the very first time I ever talked to her and she still feels that way today.
As Liz was preparing to leave for Denver last week to compete in the U.S. Women's Amateur Sectional Qualifier, I did my usual pre-tournament interview.
This tournament was a big deal for Liz, who was trying to qualify for the U.S. Women's Amateur for the second time. In the interview, she had her usual confidence. I asked if she knew who was going to be in the field.
"I have no idea," she said. "I'm just going to walk up to that first tee and ask them, 'who's going to finish second?'"
I love this kid.
Well, Monday the tournament didn't go as planned. Unfortunately, Wells fell one stroke short of her goal, losing out on the final spot on the sixth playoff hole. What's worse, she would've qualified easily but she three-putted on the 18th hole in regulation.
She texted me on the phone her results. I texted her back and told her, if she didn't want to talk about it, I understood. She texted back and said she would talk, she just needed to get herself composed.
Sure enough, a few minutes later the phone rang. It was Liz calling in for her post-match interview. Her voice was still shaky, almost quivering at times, but she answered every question I asked. With my limited knowledge of golf, no doubt some of the questions were quite dumb. But, she patiently gave me the information I needed to write my story.
Liz admitted in the interview that this was the worst loss of her life. Yet, even in her darkest moment, my girl came through like a champion.
I know a lot of coaches, full-grown men and women, who don't have the guts or heart to call in after a loss. This girl called in after a bitter, heart-breaking disappointment. And, she's done it before. In fact, every time I've asked her to call after a match, she has called.
I told you there was something about this girl I liked. It's not the swagger. It's not the bold quotes she provides.
I love the way she carries herself. The first time I saw her, Liz walked through the door with confidence and class. She will carry that confidence and class with her to SMU this fall.
I've got a funny feeling she'll still have the swagger, too.
Keep doing what you're doing, Lizzee Babee. No matter what the score says, they're all playing for second place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home