Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dunk tank

Hooray!!!
Candace Parker dunked for the second game in a row on Tuesday. I'm so happy for Candace and her mystery man Steven Bridges.
I'll be even happier when these dunks aren't treated as such a big deal. Parker has been dunking since high school. Just because she does it with a funny colored ball doesn't all of a sudden make it the top play on Sportscenter.
It's quite an athletic feat, especially for a woman. But, the WNBA isn't making itself look any more credible by treating these dunks like man's first steps on the moon.
I'm not saying they should be ignored or downplayed. But the announcer's screaming as if he just saw Bigfoot has to freakin' stop. It's embarrassing to a league that has so much more to offer these days.
I've only seen a few of Parker's games but these last two dunks wouldn't even make my top five list of her most impressive plays. I watched her swoop to the hoop with the ball in one hand like Dr. J while at Tennessee. It was a play far prettier and more athletic than any dunk.
And, no I can't dunk. Never could dunk. Almost broke my wrist trying to dunk but I never threw one down on a 10-foot goal.
I'm definitely not hatin' on Candace Parker. Keep on dunkin' girlfriend. The more you dunk, the less surprised announcers will be to see it. Then, maybe we can get back to the basketball game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home