Tuesday, August 19, 2008

No gold for NBC

I'd like to give a medal to NBC for its coverage of the Olympics.
What medal is lower than tin?
I'm an American, a proud American. But, I am so sick of all the United States cheerleader crap. The late Harry Caray would be ashamed of all this homerism.
Throughout these games so far, Americans win and are heroes or Americans are cheated and are victims.
I don't follow gymnastics and I have no doubt our American girls haven't caught any breaks over in China. Then again, I'm sure the Russians and Romanians didn't get a lot of breaks in Atlanta when our girls were crowned world champions.
The home crowd can influence judges and officials.
So, why are the NBA commentators going crazy over this stuff. I have no problem with them showing pity and sympathy for the American gymnasts. But, I don't understand why they degrade the Chinese girls.
After the parallel bars competition, the announcer actually said, as they put the gold medal around the Chinese girl's neck, "Does she really think she won?"
I don't care what anyone says, that's horrible journalism.
It ticked me off when NBC didn't cover the women's pole vault the other night. The American had talked trash about the Russian world record holder, saying she was going to, "kick some Russian butt."
The Russian came back and destroyed the American, setting Olympic and world records along the way. The Russian then talked about the trash talk and said, "She should respect me and know her position. Now she knows."
You would think NBC would cover that stuff but I watched the TV coverage and didn't hear any of the comments. When the French swimmer talked about smashing the Americans in the pool, they wouldn't stop talking about it. When an American talks trash and it backfires, it's not mentioned.
Yep, that's fair and balanced coverage.
I'm also ticked that I can't see any live events. I'm also ticked I can't find the events I want to see. I'm also ticked I don't get to see the foreign stars I want to see.
To sum it up, as far as I'm concerned, NBC's coverage fell off the beam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home