Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's a fight!

I thought people made too big of a deal about the fight the other night between Los Angeles and Detroit. Anytime you have heated competition between athletes, there's a chance there will be some sort of altercation.
It's not that uncommon to see fights in football, hockey, baseball. Pretty much any sport that involves physical contact can turn into a melee. I know I've only been in a few fights in my life but most of them came during football or basketball games at recess or in the backyard.
What disturbs me was not what happened on the court, although that kind of stuff is never good for any league. What bothers me is the aftermath.
I've watched the same replays WNBA commissioner Donna Orender must've seen. I have yet to see Detroit assistant coach Rick Mahorn maliciously shove Lisa Leslie to the floor. In fact, it appears that he was actually reaching out to try to help her up.
Still, Mahorn was hit with a two-game suspension. Sparks' Delisha Milton-Jones and Murriel Page each hit Mahorn in the back after Leslie fell. There is no debate about whether they threw punches at Mahorn yet they got one-game suspensions apiece.
What the?
I'm not sure what message the league is trying to send with this. Obviously, male coaches should never raise their hands to female players. If Mahorn had shoved her down on purpose, he should be suspended for at least a year or perhaps permanently.
Since he wasn't banned forever, obviously Orender didn't believe he was trying to shove Lisa Leslie down. So why does a man who is trying to be a peacemaker get two games while players who balled up their fists and hit him in the back of the head get one?
I don't get it. Somebody explain it to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home