Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kiss and makeup



I saw this article Tuesday night by the Associated Press and I was surprised how sad it made me.



NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—Oklahoma basketball player Jenna Plumley (right)was arrested and charged with trying to steal makeup from a Wal-Mart store.
Plumley, a starting guard, was stopped by security personnel Monday and signed a ticket that will require her to appear in municipal court, police said. Police spokeswoman Jennifer Newell said the petty larceny charge is a misdemeanor involving theft of items worth less than $500.
Plumley has five days to schedule an arraignment. If convicted, the charge carries a fine of $50 to $750 and up to 60 days in jail.
Coach Sherri Coale will handle any punishment internally, Sooners spokesman Jared Thompson said.
Plumley started all 31 games last season and averaged 7.8 points.


I watched Plumley play a lot last season. I'm not her biggest fan but she is a feisty little point guard with incredible shooting range. She stood out to me because of her heritage as a Native American.

But, I guess the reason this seems so sad to me is I'm imagining this young woman, who probably doesn't come from a wealthy background. How much does makeup cost in Wal-Mart?
Makeup is probably a fairly essential item for a college girl. If she tried to steal it because she couldn't afford to pay for it, I don't know why I find that so sad.


She should've borrowed some from her coach, who is the most dolled up coach in the country.


Anyway, I'm sure they will go easy on her. She committed a crime but then again, isn't it also a crime when a college girl can't afford makeup?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home