Saturday, May 30, 2009

Too quiet

It's been nearly two days since our banquet awards and, so far, no one has called to complain about who won what or why. All is quiet ... a little too quiet.
I know some students and some parents didn't leave the banquet happy. Unfortunately, that's inevitable.
I really wish there was a way we could honor all of the athletes we invite to the banquet. My original idea wasn't to name ONE winner and FOUR losers but, I guess I can see why some might feel that way.
We've tried to emphasize that all FIVE of the finalists in each sport are winners. It's an honor to be one of the top five. Still, when you go the next step and crown one of the five as the best, there's no way to sugar coat it, being Player of the Year is better than just being a finalist.
If someone can come up with a way for us to make the four runner-ups not feel dejected, let me know. I don't think it can be done.
Obviously, some of the kids understand what we're doing. Some of them take it as an honor to be invited and leave the banquet with a smile on their face, even if they didn't take home a player of the year award.
I guess that's my reward - not the smile on the faces of the winners but the kids who were just happy to be included in the event, who enjoyed being in a room with the best of the best in Union County and knowing it's where they belonged.
As for the Players of the Year, I'm fairly happy with the ones I chose. A couple were close, could've easily gone to another athlete. I had a reason for every pick but someone else could've produced just as good a reason for another choice.
That's why these athletes shouldn't get their heads down if they didn't win the News-Times Player of the Year. Peyton Manning didn't win the Heisman and look at him, now. You don't need a trophy or a $20 plaque to tell you how hard you've worked on your game. You should know in your heart how good you are.
If you compete hard and give your best, you're a winner in whatever sport you choose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home