Thursday, April 16, 2009

Darn you, UConn

Connecticut won the women's national championship and the world didn't end the next day.
That's me looking on the bright side.
Well, as if UConn totally dominating the competition this season wasn't bad enough, Geno Auriemma has been named coach of the USA women's national team through the 2012 Olympics.
Whatever!
I'm sick of griping about UConn and the East coast prejudice towards ESPN's favorite program. I'll just root for Russia, again.
Speaking of UConn, Atlanta screwed up at the WNBA Draft by picking Louisville's Angel McCouthry instead of Renee Montgomery. The lady from Louisville (no, I didn't spell her name right and yes, I'm too lazy to look it up) didn't appear to be the best teammate in the world in the NCAA Tournament. She's good but a little streaky offensively for my taste. Speaking of taste, the announcers comparing her to Sheryl Swoopes should have the taste slapped out of their mouths.
As much as I hate UConn, I have to admit, if I was starting a team, I'd feel good about picking Montgomery as my point guard.
Oh well, it looks like Atlanta will be the latest dumbass organization in the WNBA.
***
Changing levels, I was in Parkers Chapel yesterday to see Coach Mark Young. The coach wasn't in his office when I got there so I made myself at home sitting at his desk. I saw several letters from colleges and, being a snoopy journalist, I took a quick peek.
Sophomore Savanna Langston has started getting letters from the likes of Arkansas and South Carolina, among others.
Young, who coached former Lady Techster Latasha Crain while she was at Kingsland, knows how the recruiting process works. It's just getting started for Langston, who will be a hot commodity by the time she's a senior.
***
We got a press release this week announcing former Conway standout Sidney Stewart had requested and been granted a release by Louisiana Tech. The release said Stewart was homesick, which would appear to target UCA as her future home.
Rumor has it, Oklahoma's Jenny Vining might also be considering transferring. I don't know if she wants to come back to Arkansas or what level she'll compete at. The gymnasium at OBU has her grandfather's name on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home