Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I hate UConn

I hate UConn women's basketball. I'm hoping, no praying for someone, anyone to wipe that smug smirk off Geno Auriemma's mug.
Sadly, I don't see it happening until the final four when my big Stanford ladies get a hold of his punk arse. Fear the tree.
The women's tournament has been a lot more interesting than the men so far. Everyone knew Tennessee was down but no one realized how down until they lost to Ball State in the first round. I didn't see that coming. I actually thought Pat Summitt's troops would step it up and advance to the elite eight.
I never liked Auburn but couldn't ignore what they'd done all season. I had them in my elite eight, also. But, I wasn't shocked when they lost.
I told folks if Michigan State won its first round game it could beat Duke on its homecourt. I got that one right. I don't know what to say about Baylor - two wins - one in overtime, one at the buzzer.
I got on the ESPN message board and folks were angry at Kim Mulkey, calling her classless for her timeout substitution late in the game.
It's funny how dumb some "fans" are.
If you didn't see the game, Baylor's Rachel Allison injured her knee late. She left the game then came back in with her knee wrapped. Allison got a defensive rebound and was fouled. The less than 60 percent free throw shooter limped, hobbled and practically crawled to her coach.
Up by one, it was obvious Allison wanted no part of that 1-and-1 with just seconds remaining.
Mulkey, as is her right, substituted her injured player, inserting former CAC star Whitney Zachariason to shoot the free throw.
What was unfair was putting a player in cold off the bench in that situation. The look on Zachariason's face was sheer terror.
But, she made the crucial front end of the 1-and-1.
My question is, what was classless about this move? Allison was injured. Plus, she's a 55 percent free throw shooter. If you want to win, this was a no brainer.
Tell me how Gorgeous Geno Auriemma can get into it with players on opposing teams and get away with it while anyone else makes a simple strategic coaching move and gets called classless.
I hate UConn so much.
Please, please, please Stanford, that's right I'm begging, please Stanford - the home of Tiger Woods, John Elway and Chelsea Clinton - please send Geno packing like you did last year.
Thank you, good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home