Thursday, January 01, 2009

Slatton ranked fifth

Former El Dorado coach Brad Slatton is enjoying success coaching the girls at Fort Elliott in Briscoe, Texas. Slatton's team is 12-1 on the season and ranked fifth in Texas Class 1A Division II, the smallest school division.
Slatton's junior high team is currently 6-0.
Fort Elliott has won two tournaments, including the Tomahawk Classic in Miami, Texas.
Slatton isn't sure his team is really the fifth best team in the state but he's happy with the way his girls are competing.
"We're finding a way to win, which is pretty good," he said.
***
Switching gears, I saw an obituary of a man I never met but who helped me out tremendously.
Here's the news release:
Claiborne Pell, the quirky blueblood who represented blue-collar Rhode Island in the U.S. Senate for 36 years and was the force behind a grant program that has helped tens of millions of Americans attend college, died Thursday after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. He was 90.
Pell, a Democrat, died at his Newport home just after midnight, according to his former assistant, Jan Demers.
Pell was first elected to the Senate in 1960. The skinny son of a New York congressman, Pell spoke with an aristocratic tone but was an unabashed liberal who spent his political career championing causes to help the less fortunate.
The U.S. Army paid for a lot of my college education. What the Army didn't take care of, I was fortunate enough to get a Pell Grant to cover the rest. Until I saw this obit, I never knew who came up with the idea for the Pell Grant.
Not only me, but a lot of people owe this gentleman a thumbs up. Senator Pell, I never knew you but thanks a lot. If I could positively impact half as many lives as you did, I will have led a wonderful life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home