Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Holiday hoops over

SAN ANTONIO, Texas – Strong's Marandalynn Parker hit a 3-pointer with just over two minutes left in the game to help Ouachita Baptist upset St. Mary's 77-69 on New Year's Eve.
The Lady Tigers snapped the Lady Rattlers' 21-game home winning streak. St. Mary's hadn't lost at home since the 2006-07 season.
If St. Mary's sounds familiar, it's the school in San Antonio that former El Dorado guard Kristian Tester transferred to from Southern Arkansas University.
The Lady Tigers, meanwhile, have improved to 8-2 on the season and appear to be fully recovered from last year's sickly campaign which saw key players leave the squad during the year.
I spoke to Parker briefly during the Holiday Classic and she likes this year's team, especially the uptempo style of play. OBU uses a deep, balanced lineup, which includes a rotation of about 8 to 9 players.
Parker is happy to be a key person in that rotation. When I last checked their stats, she was averaging more than 8 points and leading the team in rebounds with more than 5 per game.
* * *
The Holiday tournament season concluded Tuesday with El Dorado falling to Watson Chapel in the third place game of the Holiday Classic and Parkers Chapel winning the Harmony Grove Classic over Drew Central on a buzzer beater.
El Dorado dropped a pair of games in the Camden tournament but didn't play badly in either. The Lady Wildcats are tough to beat when they're shooting it well from the outside. Sophomore Whitney Frazier has been surprisingly consistent scoring in the paint.
To go a ways this season, El Dorado has to find perimeter points when the 3-ball isn't falling.
I didn't see the Lady Trojans' victory over Drew Central. The newspaper reporter covering the game made a mistake, saying Hope Phillips hit the game-winning 3-pointer. Coach Young texted me today and told me it was Dallas Phipps who hit the 3-pointer with a hand in her face.
Phipps is one of my favorites so I felt especially bad that she didn't get credit for the biggest shot in her life.
People always ask me why I cover the girls instead of the boys. I guess that's the reason. I will make the effort to give the girls good coverage. I don't trust other guys to do the same and, unfortunately, once again I was proved correct in my mistrust.
I hope Dallas hits another game-winning shot and this time, I hope I'm there to report it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home