Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fun in Jonesboro

As much as I enjoyed watching El Dorado's football team win 54-23 at Jonesboro last night, I'm feeling the after effects today. We got back home about 3 in the morning and my house was ice cold. I have a gas heater and I didn't want to leave it on while I was gone.
Needless to say, I was so sleepy before I jumped into bed but those freezing sheets woke my butt up fast.
Anyway, it was an interesting trip to Jonesboro.
Upon arrival, we met a man wearing black who was a volunteer for the school. He was in the pressbox and introduced himself as Steve Cox. I immediately asked, "you didn't kick for the Razorbacks did you?"
He said yes with a big grin. We were then treated to a bunch of stories from his days as Arkansas' punter to his times as a punter for the Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins. He proudly wears the Super Bowl ring he won as a Redskin.
Man, that's gawdy.
I asked him about his longest punt, an 86 yarder for the Razorbacks. I didn't know he was the last straight-on kicker to make a field goal in the Super Bowl.
Overall, he was a really nice guy.
Another guy in the pressbox worked for the local radio station. His normal partner was away watching his daughter Rachel Allison play basketball at Baylor. I asked him if Rachel was looking at the WNBA. He might've had a Freudian slip when he said her "agent" was fielding calls from teams.
He quickly corrected himself and said she doesn't have an agent. I sure hope not because that would make her ineligible this season.
I was interested in talking to him because Rachel Allison is probably my favorite player to watch this season in women's college basketball. A classic overachiever, I get a kick out of watching a 6-1 player routinely outrebound women four and five inches taller and 30 to 40 pounds heavier.
Anyway, it was a fun night all the way around for me. I'm paying for it today as I am a little sluggish. That's okay, though. Like the Wildcats, I will prevail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home