Monday, November 10, 2008

Emilee update

I received a text from Cutter Morning Star coach Lee Scroggins with an update on his daughter Emilee. The sophomore is back in school with no restrictions on athletics.
Scroggins said it's possible she could get back on the court this season but he's not counting on it.
Emilee is shooting and walking to try to build her strength.
"She is determined to play this year," said the coach.
***
Monday represented the first day of basketball call-ins as the junior highs tipped off the season. I watched El Dorado's ninth grade girls, who were quite impressive with a mercy-rule win over Magnolia. Although the Lady Panthers were less than impressive, El Dorado's freshmen girls should be pretty good this season.
As impressive as the girls are on the court, even more amazing are some of the girls' names. I don't know what's going on black people. But, this is getting out of hand.
In one night I saw a Traliese, Quaneshia, Taketria and a Chianti. I defy anyone to pronounce any of these names.
When I got back to the office, I got a call-in that left me even more puzzled.
Did you know the name "Ashley" can be spelled Ashalei? Did you know there was a "H" in the name Jasmine? Oh yeah, Jasmine is now spelled Jhasmine.
What in the heck is going on?
I can understand a parent wanting their child to have a unique name. I get using an alternate spelling like Jeni for Jenny or Emilee for Emily. I don't like it but I get it.
But, you can't just throw letters in names that don't belong. Putting an H in Jasmine is just plain wrong.
Hopefully, this won't stunt the child's ability to learn. It would be terrible if she thought the word "jelly" was spelled jhelly or "January" as Jhanuary.
The ability to spell is one of the key foundations to education. A quality education is necessary to land a good "jhob" which could keep you out of "jhail".
Come on black folks. Let's spell our children's names correctly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home