Friday, January 09, 2009

He's not a god

Did you watch the BCS title game last night? Florida quarterback Tim Tebow led the Gators to the national championship, won the MVP award and immediately after the game, ESPN reported he cured cancer.
OH MY GOD!
What is with all of this hero worship in sports? From Brett Favre to Michael Phelps to Tim Tebow, the national sports talking heads have lost their freakin' minds.
I'm not a Hater. I cheered for Tebow last night. I admired the way he played. He deserved the MVP award and might've deserved another Heisman.
Off the field, he appears to be a young man of character, traveling around the world doing charity work and missions. His eye black had a Biblical verse. He ends every press conference with "God Bless."
I think he's a great role model.
But, until a series of medical tests prove otherwise, I'm going to also think he's a human being with human flaws and shortcomings.
I'm sorry Fox. I'm sorry ESPN. Tim Tebow is not a god.
STOP WORSHIPING HIM!
The announcer last night said, "if you spend five minutes with this young man, you'll be a better person for it."
WHAT?
What's he going to do, heal my credit rating?
I almost feel sorry for the kid. It's not his fault. But, how can anyone live up to the lofty praise he gets?
In the middle of leading the Gators to the title, right after he found a cure for AIDS and just before he drew up a peace settlement in the Middle East, the almighty Tebow, who walked on water in the pregame, was flagged for a taunting unsportsmanlike penalty.
Did Ghandi ever get flagged for doing the Gator chomp in an opponent's face?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home