Thursday, May 21, 2009

Talking the talk II

We will reveal the name of our Scholar Athlete of the Year Award on May 28. I talked about the dilemma we had this year in choosing the winner out of five outstanding finalists.
I got a response, of course, from former News-Times photographer Steven Bridges who gave his opinion of what's more important, the great resume' or an outstanding personal interview.
"For the Scholar-Athlete Award, you got to go with the interview," wrote Bridges. "There are a lot of people that look good on paper. Just being slightly better on grades is not what brings people to the top. Being book smart will only get you so far. You want a well rounded winner."
That makes sense to me.
May 21, 2009 - the date I agreed with something Steven Bridges said.
***
Also today, I actually got a positive letter to the editor in the News-Times. Someone actually liked something I wrote enough to sit down and write a letter.
As a sports writer, I know I'm only as good as the last sentence I wrote. The same person might think I'm pond scum tomorrow.
But, I ain't even gone lie, a pat on the back feels real good every now and then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home