Thursday, January 17, 2008

Girls basketball - frustrating

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Refereeing a basketball game is a thankless job that I want no part of trying to do. I try not to criticize people who do something I know I could not do.
However, it just frustrates me how often local refs use the bail out calls during girls basketball games. You know the calls - traveling and jump ball.
Those are the only calls you'll see throughout most girls games and it's getting more and more frustrating. I don't understand how a girl can make the same exact move that a boy makes, and she draws a whistle while it's a no-call in the boys game.
I don't understand how a girl can get a defensive rebound and have three defenders jump on her to force a jump ball. If she raises her elbows or tries to protect the ball and keep the defenders off of her, the girl gets called for an offensive foul or even a flagrant foul.
This doesn't happen like that in the boys game.
I don't understand why the shooters and ball handlers aren't protected in the girls game. You can push a ball handler out of bounds and it's either a no call or, more likely, traveling.
A lot of fans like to say girls don't have the same skill level as boys. That's not always the case. Sometimes girls aren't allowed to play the same game as the boys.
As a fan, that's frustrating.
* * *
Thursday was a busy night around the Gulf South Conference.
At Arkansas Tech, Julie Smith hit a pair of free throws in the Golden Suns' 78-70 win over Christian Brothers.
Maranda Parker scored eight points with five rebounds, two assists and four steals but Ouachita Baptist still fell to UA-Monticello 62-54.
Southern Arkansas University's Ellana White scored her first college points, hitting a 3-pointer in the Lady Riders' 77-59 loss to Henderson State.
Also, the coach at Carl Albert confirmed Brittany Johnson will be a medical redshirt this season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home