Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Time for a change?

I read my rant about Tuesday's basketball game at Strong. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this job.
I meant everything I said. The game was very difficult to watch. But, was it the worst game I've ever seen?
In my career as a journalist, I've seen a whole lot of teams that couldn't have stayed on the court for a half with either team. So, was the play really as bad as I thought it was?
That question makes me wonder if I'm just getting too old, too cranky, too cantankerous for this business. For some reason, this season it seems I have no patience for poorly played basketball.
You've probably noticed this in a couple of my recent blogs.
I've sat through, probably, hundreds of bad games. Why is it that now, all of a sudden, I'm having such a difficult time digesting them?
Everyone, at one point or another, gets in a rut on their job. I must be in a rut.
Maybe I've gotten spoiled. It was so great watching Strong's state championship runs. Before that, I had great basketball at Union, Strong and a couple years at Parkers Chapel. I had great, intense games to look forward to.
Even last year, it was a joy to watch Maranda Parker, at 5-10, handle the ball in the open court. I looked forward to watching her play along with Ellana White, who wasn't as skilled but thrilled me with her desire to win games.
That's not to say there aren't good players in the area this year because there are. Smackover's Kendra Marsh will have an opportunity to play college ball in the future.
That's not to say there aren't decent teams in the area this year, either. I don't think we have a great team but there are some above average squads in the county.
But, for me, something's missing. For the first time, I can't get past the bad games to get to the good ones.
Like I said, maybe I've finally gotten too old. Maybe I've lost patience. Maybe I've lost hope.
Whatever the deal is, I hope something clicks for me soon and I can find some of the lost joy I used to have for the sport of girls basketball. For the first time in about 16 years, going to games is starting to feel like a job.
If that's the case, I might as well get a real job and actually make some money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home