Monday, December 10, 2007

Strong (k)needs good news

The 7AA-East girls race could hinge, literally, on Breuna Dixon's knee. Strong's senior guard injured her knee last week against Smackover in the Magnolia Tournament. Coach Gerrald Koonce was waiting on the MRI results the last time I talked to him.
Dixon is a good player. What makes her so valuable to the Lady Bulldogs is the fact they are already thin in the backcourt. Dixon provides them with some semblance of ball handling and, perhaps as important, an outside shooting threat.
After watching Strong play last week, I was ready to annoint the Lady Bulldogs as the team to beat in the conference. However, if Dixon's health is an issue, that prediction becomes null and void.
That's the thing about the teams in this conference, every coach has one or two players they cannot afford to lose. If Strong loses Dixon for the season, Coach Koonce, the wise ol' wizard himself, will have to cook up some serious sorcery for the Lady Dogs.
***
On Friday, should I watch El Dorado host Camden Fairview or go to Smackover for the Lady Bucks' rematch with Parkers Chapel?
I'm pretty sure the Smackover-PC game will be good. I'm pretty sure the Lady Wildcats will fall short against the Lady Cardinals.
But, if El Dorado was to somehow pull off the upset and I missed it, that would be a horrible mishap on my part.
I asked El Dorado coach Corey Smith and, of course, he told me the Lady Wildcats are going to win. I think the Lady Cats are due for a good performance against a good team. However, Smackover-PC might be the most intense rivalry I've got, right now.
It doesn't matter where I go, my attention will be diverted.
***
On the college front, Arkansas Tech's Little Red Riding Hoopster Julie Smith came off the bench Saturday in an 87-68 win over Northwest Missouri State. Smith scored 12 points in seven minutes, hitting all four of her field goals, including two 3-pointers.
By the way, the Golden Suns have compiled a 7-3 record this season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home