Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Bologna or filet mignon

After you've eaten filet mignon, it's difficult to go back to bologna.
I watched some of the best girls basketball teams compete last week at the Oil Belt Classic. I must admit, watching regular girls hoops on Monday at the Magnolia Tournament left me with sort of a bad taste.
I'm sorry if I'm sounding a little snobby. But, there's just something so nice about watching girls who know how to play the game. It's fun watching girls compete at a high level.
Basketball is my favorite sport. I love to see it when it's played well. At the same time, it's almost insulting to watch people attempt to play the sport I love the most without the basic fundamentals or any sort of competitive passion.
I've said this several times but I just don't understand how people can play the game from 7th grade through the 12th grade and they still can't use both hands or dribble with their heads up. They can't catch the ball, dribble it, pass it or shoot it.
I know it's just a game. But if you don't love it, why play it?
Anyway, there's nothing I enjoy more than watching two teams filled with fundamentally sound athletes playing a great game of basketball.
I don't think I'll ever get used to watching kids who don't know how to play. I'll never get used to watching 11th and 12th grade girls or boys who can't dribble.
I refuse to get used to that. I refuse to call that basketball.
I can appreciate kids wanting to participate in a sport despite not having a lot of athletic ability. There's a big difference between a lack of athletic ability and a lack of fundamental skills or basic knowledge of the game.
After watching Neville beat West Monroe and Carlisle top Ouachita, I don't want to settle for something less than that.
Bologna is certainly edible but it ain't filet mignon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home