Tuesday, November 27, 2007

El Dorado to host tourney

I'm looking forward to El Dorado's tournament this week. Actually, the girls don't play a tournament but there still should be some good games. I don't know much about the Louisiana teams (Ouachita and Neville) but I've seen West Monroe and I know Carlisle is good.
Unfortunately, the matchup I wanted to see probably won't happen. Carlisle was supposed to play West Monroe on Friday but since the Bison's football team advanced in the playoffs, the girls basketball team won't be coming on Friday.
El Dorado coach Corey Smith was scrambling for a replacement but it's a little late for that.
I wish a local team like Parkers Chapel could fill that spot. It's a nothing-to-lose scenario for a small school to take on a big school. And, the Lady Trojans actually have enough size to compete against a bigger school.
Anyway, that probably won't happen.
There will still be some great matchups. It should be a lot of fun.
***
I heard back from Henderson State that Krystal Herring is definitely redshirting this season. I also finally saw Ellana White's name in a boxscore at SAU.
***
At Arkansas Tech, Julie Smith is slowly but surely getting back in the flow after knee surgery. She played at the end of the Golden Suns' game against Rhema Bible College.
"It felt good. I'm still slow on my cuts and getting up and down the floor, but that is not anything unusual," she said. "Hopefully, I will keep getting better in practice and eventually get some quality minutes in."
***
I wrote an article on Marandalynn Parker in today's News-Times. Sounds like Coach Garry Crowder is excited about her future and I know Parker is thrilled with her playing time.
Parker is being asked to handle the ball more than I thought she would as a freshman.
“We’re not expecting her to play point guard," said Crowder. "I mean, she’s very versatile. She can play anywhere from a one to a four. She’s not our primary point guard but because of injuries and things, she’s been forced to play it more than we wanted. For a big guard at 5-10, 5-11, she can handle the ball good. We’re excited about what she’s doing. She’s doing a good job for us.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home