Monday, November 12, 2007

Who is the best athlete in the world?

Now, for something a bit off the beaten path. I've taken it upon myself to consider who the world's greatest female athlete might be, right now.
I know you're wondering, why?
Well, my newest little project was building computer wallpapers for foreign athletes. I was scouring the internet for photos of athletes like Lauren Jackson and Penny Taylor, etc. In the process, I discovered a whole world of athletes, especially in track and field. I used to be a fool for track and field, absolutely loved it.
Unfortunately, in this country, if it's not NFL, NBA or Major League Baseball, it's not considered a sport worthy of television. In Europe, however, track and field is still the rage.
As I discovered these incredible athletes, I actually got on You Tube to see video of them perform. Again, I was amazed and a little astonished at all of the stuff I've been missing.
Anyway, this led me to wonder, who is the best female athlete in the world?
I'm sure most Americans would be quick to say Lisa Leslie or Serena Williams. But, the fact is, the best athlete is probably not an American.
Here's what I've discovered:
The top American athlete might be Sanya Richards, who was actually born in Jamaica but is now a U.S. citizen. Richards is considered the fastest woman in the world. She's the American record holder in the 400 at 48.70.
But, to me, the women competing for best overall athlete are: Sweden's Carolina Kluft, who is the current heptathlon and pentathlon world champion. Kluft, at age 22, became the youngest person to ever hold the five major titles at the same time. She is unbeaten in 22 events since March, 2002, winning nine consecutive gold medals in major championships.
I watched her. She's a bad girl.
But, is she badder than Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva? At 25, Isinbayeva is the most dominant athlete in the world in her sport. She's a 7-time world champion and world record holder.
But, my pick for the world's greatest female athlete goes to, drumroll please, Croatian sensation, Blanka Vlasic. Vlasic is a 23-year-old high jumper and is the reigning world champion.
I watched this woman clear 2.10 meters, which I believe is around 6-feet-9 inches. At 6-feet-4 inches tall, Vlasic has perhaps the longest legs I've ever seen on a human being not named Manute. She also has personality and is known to be a consistently clutch performer.
Anyway, Blanka is my new favorite athlete. She even speaks English.
Vlasic was recently named European Female Athlete of the Year. She edged out Kluft and Richards, which is why I'm choosing her as my numero uno girl.
I can't wait for the next summer Olympics. I'm going to have to buy whatever package DirecTV offers. While the rest of you jokers are stuck watching the TV networks with their American package of men's basketball, gymnastics and swimming, I'm going to be watching both men's and women's track and field.
It's the best sport I forgot about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home