Saturday, November 03, 2007

Parker gets her feet wet

I was excited to see my girl Marandalynn Parker play as much as she did Friday in Ouachita Baptist's first exhibition game at Northwestern State (La.) In her first collegiate game, the former Strong Lady Bulldogs got up five shots, scoring five points.
Parker hit a 3-pointer and was 2-for-2 at the line. Those were the only stats I could find but upon emailing her, Marandalynn told me the rest of the story.
She was forced to play point guard and committed 10 turnovers.
Ten turnovers is a lot for one person. But, considering it was her first college game, on the road against a Division I opponent and she's playing WAY out of position, it wasn't so bad. The interesting thing for me is the OBU coaches allowed her to stay on the floor and turn the ball over 10 times.
They must see something they like. If she keeps her head up and doesn't lose confidence, I think Parker will do a lot of positive things on the court this year.
* * *
One of Parker's opponents this season will be Arkansas Tech's Julie Smith, who FINALLY responded to my email this week. Smith, who played at Union and El Dorado, tore her ACL as a freshman.
She returned to the court this week.
"My knee is doing pretty good," she said. "I got released yesterday to start playing so I'm gradually getting back to full speed which isn't really fast at all. I do like my new coach. He is alot different from last years. There is definitely not as much yelling. Sometimes he reminds me of my Dad with some of the things he says, I hope as I get back I will get to play, but I really couldn't tell you. I might just be one of those people he sends in to shoot and see if I'm on, then take me out if not. It's too early to tell because I'm already behind with practice."
* * *
I checked Henderson State's boxscore from its exhibition at Oklahoma. Krystal Herring (El Dorado freshman) wasn't listed for the Lady Reddies. I'll have to check to see what's going on there.
Websites at Weatherford Junior College (Ashley Harrell) and Carl Albert (Brittany Johnson) didn't have any information on games played the last time I checked. I'm also working on an update from Southern Arkansas University (Ellana White).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home