Tuesday, September 18, 2007

WNBA Finals are over

Okay, the WNBA Finals are over. As much as I tried, I just couldn't get into the games.
Phoenix beat Detroit 3-2, winning the fifth game on the Shock's homecourt.
Detroit, as it did periodically during the season, sleepwalked through much of the decisive game. I don't like Bill Laimbeer but I almost felt sorry for him on the sideline. When the players don't have the hunger to compete, the coach is pretty much helpless.
Like I said, I had a difficult time getting into the series. I don't like Laimbeer and hate his team's bullying style of basketball. Phoenix, on the other hand, plays a beautiful, free wheeling, fast breaking high-scoring style.
I love finesse.
But, for some reason I couldn't cheer too hard for the Mercury, either. It seemed as though the officials were giving Phoenix every break. It also seemed like the announcers were rooting for Phoenix.
All this made Detroit appear to be the underdog. All of Laimbeer's "us against the world" attitude finally caught up with his team. It really was Detroit against the world.
The Shock didn't get a break.
So, I couldn't feel too bad for the Shock and I couldn't feel too good for the Mercury, which made the series rather uninteresting.
That's too bad because the rest of the WNBA Playoffs were off the chain.
Oh by the way, how about Summerfield native Cheryl Ford, playing with a bad knee in Game 5. That was impressive. That young lady has a huge heart.
People in South Arkansas should be proud of her. She honed her skills and developed that competitive spirit right here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home