Thursday, September 06, 2007

Tennis trumps WNBA Finals

I tried to watch Game 1 of the WNBA Finals between Phoenix and Detroit, but had a hard time tearing myself away from the U.S. Open quarterfinal tennis match between Venus Williams and Serbian Jelena Jankovic.
I was switching back and forth until I finally decided to stick with the tennis. The match went to a third set tiebreaker with Venus finally winning. Both players were given a standing ovation. The atmosphere was electric with a packed stadium filled with celebrities.
The match was great with every point hotly contested. Even better was the contrasting demeanors of the players. Venus was serious with her game face firmly on display. Jankovic was the complete opposite, often smiling, almost laughing while waiting to return serve. She talked to the fans and was just thorougly entertaining.
The tennis was good, too. These ladies were knocking the crap out of the ball.
The end of the match was special as the announcer grabbed Jankovic before she left and shoved the microphone in her face. She showed complete class, congratulating Venus and acknowledging the best player won.
That was great considering Venus' sister Serena showed her butt a day earlier after a loss.
I'm not a tennis junkie, but I couldn't stop watching this match. I love great competition and I love gracious winners and losers even more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home