Monday, July 30, 2007

The Master Debater.

I love a good debate especially on a subject I feel well versed about.
I know a lot about women's basketball so when El Dorado coach Corey Smith offered his opinion that Sue Bird was a better point guard than my favorite player, Becky Hammon, I said, "Oh, no you didn't!"
First off, let me point out I don't base my arguments on opinions. I don't base my arguments on anything other than pure facts. It's all about the numbers, my man.
Becky Hammon, who is the point guard for the WNBA's San Antonio franchise, is third in the league in scoring at 19.4 points per game. She leads the league with 5.1 assists per game. She is second in the league at the free throw line, hitting 94.9 percent. She's also shooting 46.6 percent from the field, including 40.7 percent from 3-point range. Her 55 made 3-pointers is second most in the league behind gun-happy Diana Taurasi.
Okay, let's look at Sue Bird, who is the point guard at Seattle. Bird is averaging 10.1 points and 4.8 assists per game. She is shooting 81.3 percent at the line, 42.8 percent from the floor, including 33.3 percent from beyond the arc.
Numbers don't lie and in this case, the numbers are laughing.
Coach Smith will argue, it's not about numbers, it's about winning.
So, let's go that route. Hammon's Silver Stars are currently 16-8 and leading the Western Conference. Last year, before Hammon's arrival, they were dead last in the West.
Bird's Storm is currently 13-13 and in fourth place in the West.
By the way, San Antonio, with Hammon, has won all four of its meetings against Bird and the Storm this season. Sunday night, San Antonio won 92-88. Hammon scored 30. Bird scored 17.
A closer look at the two teams tell an even bigger story. Seattle is 1-8 on the season in games decided by 10 points or less. That's worse in the WNBA. San Antonio is 13-5 in those same games, which is best in the league.
What's a better stat for a point guard than what they do down the stretch in close games.
I love a good debate but this one was too easy. Coach Smith, I respect your knowledge of the game but when it comes to women's basketball, don't mess with the king.
Kiss the ring, son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home