Wednesday, July 18, 2007

He ain't leaving

Congratulations are in order for El Dorado's girls basketball program. Coach Corey Smith says he ain't going nowhere.
Before Smith came to El Dorado last year, he was a long-time assistant at Hot Springs under legendary coach Jim Elser. When Elser announced he was resigning, Smith's name was one of the first ones mentioned.
I talked to Corey on Wednesday and he said he was staying at El Dog (woof woof).
It's probably a smart move as I believe the Lady Wildcats will compete for a state championship for the next few years. I joked with Smith about the lack of competition in Class 6A. He thinks I'm crazy but my reasoning is simply numbers. There are only 16 teams in the entire classification. There are only two leagues in the entire classification. Sorry, but that's the easiest road to a state championship in the history of Arkansas High School sports.
However, that doesn't take away from the fact the Lady Wildcats have loads of talent. It's a shame about the reclassification because I believe El Dorado could compete with any team in the state (except Fairview).
Anyway, I'm happy Smith is staying put. He's done a good job and will do even better the more talent he has to work with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home