Saturday, October 13, 2007

It's a black thing

Should I be investigating the racial situation for the El Dorado girls basketball program?
The Lady Wildcats lost, yet another white girl from its senior varsity team when Melanie Hays quit the team recently to concentrate on golf and softball.
Hays, a sophomore, was the lone caucasian on El Dorado's ninth grade team last year. She was probably going to be in the rotation as a sophomore on this year's varsity team.
Hays is the latest white girl to leave the program. Morgan Saulsbury, another former Union student, quit the basketball program as a ninth grader to focus on volleyball and softball. Lynsey Colvin, who was a senior last year, quit playing basketball as a junior to focus on volleyball and softball.
Is this a problem?
Not to me. Everybody has the freedom to play any sport they'd like. But, I'd be lying if I said it doesn't make me wonder what's going on.
I discussed this with Kev Moye in the office and we both have our own ideas of why white girls don't want to play basketball at El Dorado. Since neither Kev nor I are white girls, we really have no idea.
It is puzzling though that the kids who were at Union, where girls basketball was King (or Queen), quickly drop the sport when forced to play at El Dorado. Is it because they're overwhelmed by the athletic ability of the girls? Perhaps it's because the bigger school has so many other opportunities that they simply find other things they'd rather do than play basketball.
Heck, maybe El Dorado coaches Corey Smith and Henry Harrell (who are both black) are intimidating to some people.
The last option to me is not realistic but, I suppose it's not impossible, either.
Like I said, it doesn't really matter to me. It just looks a little funny. It also looks funny that the soccer team is all white and softball team is predominantly white. I think the swim team is all white and the golf team is all white and the tennis team is all white.
Dadgum, Lady Wildcats - can't we all just get along?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home