Saturday, November 17, 2007

Time to get serious

As far as I'm concerned, the high school basketball season tips off this week for girls. Two big games in two days have me excited for hoops for the first time since last season's state tournament.
Monday, I'll be in Parkers Chapel to witness the Lady Trojans and Smackover. Both teams are undefeated and untested.
It should be a fun game to watch.
On Tuesday, I'll be heading to Camden Fairview to see if El Dorado can bounce back from its disappointing opener at West Monroe. The Lady Wildcats could regain their swagger with a win over the best team in the state.
That's easier said than done.
But, rumor has it that Fairview might play without guards Jasmine Canser and Ori Pitts. Would that make a difference?
Uh, yeah.
It's also almost tournament time. The SAU Tournament tips off in another week or so. Honestly, I'm surprised they're still holding this thing. There's not much left to it. The Lady Buckaroos are in it, though. We'll see if that's worth watching when I get the bracket.
I'm much, much more interested in El Dorado's Oil Belt Classic. That's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing Carlisle again.
***
Ouachita Baptist lost its season opener on Friday, falling to West Georgia 72-60 in the West Florida Classic. Marandalynn Parker of Strong played 12 minutes, recording a blocked shot. The freshman missed her only shot attempt, a 3-pointer.
The Lady Tigers returned to action on Saturday.
***
I got a phone call Friday from former Union coach Gary Don Smith, who is in his third season at Hot Springs Lakeside. Sounds like the talent pool is sort of dry for Smith.
Normally, I wouldn't feel too bad for Gary Don, who has won more games with less athletic ability than any other coach I've known. But, in a league with Fairview, J.A. Fair and Hot Springs, not to mention an up and coming Malvern program, not much talent means not much success.
Smith said the girls basketball talent at Lakeside is in the eighth grade. Sounds like he'll stick it out for a couple years before returning back to glory.
Patience is a virtue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home