Sunday, April 01, 2007

No more lazy days

Call me lazy all you want but I believe I've earned a little break. I sure took one, too.
I haven't covered an event since the semifinals of the state tournament. I've worked in the office, done a lot of telephone interviews and such, but I haven't been to a game in a few weeks.
Truth is, putting the All-Area stuff together for girls basketball is fairly hectic. After you figure out who is on the team, you have to get stats and comments from coaches.
The most stressful part for me is setting up the photo. It's not easy getting five girls from five different towns together at one time. I was fortunate this year as all of the girls were incredibly cooperative.
In fact, this year's group of finalists - El Dorado's K.K. Woods, Norphlet's Ellana White, Strong's Maranda Parker, Parkers Chapel's Dana Gray and Smackover's Kendra Marsh - couldn't have been any more easy to work with. They even wore the costumes I bought for the photo.
Unfortunately, that didn't work out as I hoped as the clothes on the models didn't fit my athletes the same way. Even worse, now I'm stuck with the costumes because the local shop no longer buys used items.
Anybody want to buy a ninja suit?
Anyway, I'm almost done with the All-Area stuff. We met last week to pick out the Golden Triangle Team and I'll put that together this week to close the book on basketball.
Then, it'll be out of the office and to the park for track, soccer, softball, etc.
I guess I'm looking forward to it. Not really.
But, once I get out there, I'll get into it. There will be a story or two that really gets me going and then it'll be fun.
Before I leave basketball, though, I was disappointed in the All-State setup. The disparity in the number of selections for bigger classifications compared to small classes is alarming. It's still a nice honor if you make the team but if you don't and you're at a small school, you can't take it that seriously.
Finally, I talked to Tim Cooper at the Democrat-Gazette last week. I was hoping to send him some nominations for the paper's All-Arkansas basketball edition.
He told me he's not doing it this year. He then said he believes the team has already been selected.
I hope some of you coaches got your players' names out there. But, it sounds like our area might get the shaft.
Let's hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home