Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Too much of a good thing?

Oh my God, I think I'm actually tired of watching basketball.
I didn't know that was possible but, between the driving and living in hotels and watching game after game the past few weeks, I could actually go a couple days without watching a game and feel pretty good about it.
That's probably not the best way to feel as I sit in Russellville smack dab in the middle of the state tournament.
I'm covering the 2A Tournament, not only for the News-Times but for the Camden News as well. In addition to Strong's boys and girls and Junction City's boys, I'm covering Bearden's girls and Stephens' boys. Keeping up with five teams is becoming a challenge, especially since I have the late game each night.
Covering games at 7 and 8:30 at night leaves little time to actually write the story. I have a 40-minute drive back to the hotel and I need to have the stories written and sent back to El Dorado by about 11 p.m.
That leaves 40 minutes for driving and about 10 to 15 minutes to write.
You gotta hustle to get that done and, frankly, it's been a while since I've hustled.
Thursday it looks like an easy day for a change. I only have one game to cover, Stephens boys at 8:30. I can hardly believe it but I have no desire to get to Danville early and watch the other games.
After a week of driving back and forth to Hermitage, a week of living in Glenwood and driving back and forth from Mt. Ida to Glenwood and now driving back and forth from Danville to Russellville, I'm ready to take the air out of the ball.
But, as long as I'm here until Friday, I might as well stay through Saturday.
I'm hoping Strong's girls can keep it going. The Lady Bulldogs are the only team up here that I've covered all year. They're the only team left that gets me excited to watch play.
Since I'm gonna be here covering the Dragons anyway (I haven't seen a boys team that can touch them.) it would be sweet to see Strong shock the state and hang around for a while longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home