Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Entitled Generation

When did it become a student's right to play on the basketball team? When I was in school, it was a priviledge, something that had to be earned. Wearing that uniform made you special because everyone knew you had paid a price to get it.
Nowadays, the uniform means nothing because they're not earned, they're given to anyone who wants one.
As someone who was cut from a basketball team or two in my life, I believe schools should bring back cuts for senior high teams. That would make being on the team special and might end some of today's "I'm entitled" attitudes.
It's alarming how many students are in control of the school's athletic teams. If a coach doesn't play a kid, that kid can get the coach fired.
Now that's amazing. We've come a long way, baby, but definitely not in the right direction.
You can't really blame the kids. It all goes back to the parents.
Heck, if I thought my mom could get me on the team when I got cut, I would've whined and cried, too. Unfortunately, when I told my parents I didn't make the team they simply said, "You must not be good enough."
That was the end of the discussion.
These days, parents are quick to play the blame game. My child deserves to play. Why? Because he or she is my child, that's why. If my child isn't playing then it must be the coach's fault.
These parents are teaching their children a horrible lesson. Instead of working harder to overcome obstacles and achieve success, these young men and women could grow up expecting to be given jobs, promotions, grades, etc.
Most of them will learn the hard way. Mommy and daddy might get you on the team in high school but in the real world you're going to have to do it yourself.
Good luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home