Saturday, January 20, 2007

Life at the News-Times

Life at the News-Times is a lot of things - predictable not being one of them.
I'm off on Wednesdays and Thursdays and on my days off, unless there's a game in the county, I don't leave my house. I like sitting around all day long, doing absolutely nothing productive.
On Friday, I got a call from my boss alerting me of a photo that was in that day's sports section. The photo was of a female basketball player who had graduated about four years earlier. To make matters worse, it was identified as a current player.
I have a military background. In the military, the word accountability is a big thing. People are held accountable for doing their job.
I HATE getting blamed for someone else's mistakes. Although I'm in a supervisory position, I believe in everyone pulling their own weight. I have no problem pulling more than my fair share as long as everyone else can handle their end.
This attitude does not make for a great supervisor. I'm not a parent or a coach. I don't believe in motivational speeches. I never needed a pep talk. I don't need anyone to inspire me to do a good job.
I always try to do my best, especially if something has my name on it.
I don't know how to deal with people who don't feel the same way. I certainly don't want to be held accountable for people who don't take the same pride in their work as I do in mine.
Obviously, Friday wasn't a good day in the office.
I thought Saturday would be better but, low and behold when I walked into the office, there was a cleaning crew shampooing the carpet. I don't normally go to work on Saturday until after 3 p.m. The office was empty all day long. Why in Hades would someone schedule the carpet cleaners just when we're going into the office to try and work.
God Almighty!
I had a series of phone interviews planned. Clearly, that wasn't going to happen with the sound of several jackhammers blasting in the background.
Oh well, it's just another day wasted.
I love my job. I love covering games and getting to know coaches and young players. When it's good, it's really good.
When it's bad, it's really bad.
I guess that's why they call it a job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home