Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Fairview or Strong?

As I was adding up the stats after Camden Fairview's 75-39 execution of Smackover Wednesday at the SAU Tournament, Lady Cardinal assistant coach Melissa Thames walked past and uttered in my ear, "that's Camden Fairview."
This was in reference to my story last week at El Dorado, when I jokingly said, Strong, uh, sorry, I mean Camden Fairview.
Apparently, some folks in Camden took offense, even though Fairview's starting lineup includes four players who were at Strong last year.
To those offended I say, "bite me."
Obviously, I was joking. But, did you really think I wasn't going to mention it in the article.
Folks in Union County have watched these girls play since they were nine years old. They've won back-to-back state championships at Strong and made this area a hotbed for college recruiters.
So, when they make their first appearance back in the county after moving to Fairview, I'm not supposed to acknowledge the fact they grew up here?
Again, I say, "bite me."
The Lady Cardinals have a great track program and, I suppose a great gymnastics program for those who care. But, that school has not been known for girls basketball. All of a sudden Coach Ronald Rogers is hired and brings everything from Strong except for Herring's Furniture and no one is supposed to notice? Wow, how did Fairview's girls get so good all of a sudden. They must've worked really hard over the summer. It probably has nothing to do with those girls from STRONG that just joined the team.
Can you smell that? That's sarcasm.
Fairview has one of the best teams in the state this year. I hope they win the state championship. When they do, the trophy will read "Camden Fairview." But, everybody knows where they came from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home