Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Basketball

Tuesday, I found myself a little under the weather, so I took a sick day. How did I spend my sick day, that's right, I covered a basketball game.
I had to be there when former Strong coach Ronald Rogers brought his Camden Fairview team to El Dorado. The Lady Cardinals won 63-44, although the Lady Wildcats hung with them for a half.
Fairview started four former Lady Bulldogs, which, when you think about it, just doesn't sound right.
I've heard of coaches taking assistants and a player with them on a new job. But, Coach Rogers took an entire team. He probably would've taken Teddy Bears if he could've fit it in his truck.
In all seriousness, the Lady Cardinals will be hard to handle this season.
Also, El Dorado competed well. Coach Corey Smith has his team headed in the right direction.
As much as I enjoyed watching the Fairview-El Dorado game, I wish I could've seen Parkers Chapel's 60-59 win at Smackover. Sophomore Dana Gray scored 35 for the Lady Trojans, who stayed unbeaten at 7-0. Sophomore Kendra Marsh scored 25 for the Lady Bucks, who were playing their season opener.
Parkers Chapel has already shown it will be a factor this season. Smackover could also be in for some postseason action in Class 3A. Coach Marsha Cowling could use a little good luck. Sophomore starter Nickole Frazier had knee surgery and will miss the season. Sophomore guard Viana Stanley, who moved to Smackover from El Dorado, is having eligibility issues. Her playing status is uncertain.
Having either one of those players would take the Lady Bucks up a notch. Having both of them might put them over the top.
Also on Tuesday, Strong got its first win in a big way, bombing Hampton 71-29.
The Lady Bulldogs, who disappointed me greatly in their season-opening loss to Parkers Chapel, obviously fixed some things. I'm looking forward to seeing them again as hopefully they will be involved in the league race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home