Thursday, June 29, 2006

Introduction

Hello, my name is Tony Burns and I hate golf.
Perhaps "hate" is too strong a word but I strongly dislike golf. The same goes for soccer, figure skating, hockey and curling.
I don't watch these sports but it doesn't bother me if you do.
I say this in response to the anti-WNBA folks out there who believe anyone who watches women playing basketball (or any other sport for that matter) are either mildly retarded, gay or nerdy.
I'm none of these things, although the nerdy part could be argued, but I do enjoy women's basketball. I enjoy all kinds of basketball. I am a basketball fan.
I enjoy watching the WNBA, partly because in the summer, it's the only brand of basketball on television. When I tell people I enjoy the WNBA, I'm met with strange looks, laughter and ridicule.
There are a lot of things wrong with the WNBA. The officiating is atrocious and the marketing is bad. I often question the competency of some of the coaches.
But, for those who say they don't watch the WNBA because it lacks intensity, I say BONK!!
It's a different game from the NBA, no doubt.
Newsflash: Women don't play the same as men.
But, it's a beautiful game, nontheless. I think most true basketball fans can appreciate the skill and athletic ability showcased in the WNBA.
And, even if you can't appreciate it, don't knock me because I do.
• • •
Today's absolutely adorable athlete is
New York Liberty point guard Becky Hammon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home