Saturday, November 04, 2006

Bearden Jamboree

I went to the Bearden Saturday to watch Smackover and Parkers Chapel in preseason jamboree action. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the complete Lady Buck roster as Nickole Frazier was injured before I arrived and didn't play in the win over Hampton.
Also, apparently Viana Stanley, a transfer from El Dorado, can't play because her former school won't release her.
That whole situation is unfortunate. Wouldn't it be great if some of these big-school officials actually tried to do what was best for the child, just once.
Anyway, that's another story.
Parkers Chapel was impressive, in spurts. Sophomore Dana Gray looked good and the Lady Trojans' defense was very aggressive. Harmony Grove nearly rallied for the win, however, hurting Parkers Chapel with fullcourt pressure. The Lady Hornets' Malorie Akin missed a layup at the buzzer that would've given Harmony Grove a one-point win, instead of the one-point loss.
I'm still looking for big things from the Lady Trojans, who may be one more perimeter player away from a conference championship. I believe Coach Young will get the ball handling issues handled.
I was little disappointed in Smackover but, that was not the lineup I envisioned for the Lady Bucks this season. If they can get all their talent on the floor at once, I still believe Coach Cowling's club can do well in Class 3A. Don't be surprised to see Smackover and Harmony Grove at or near the top of that league.
Also, while I didn't see Bearden, Hampton's girls aren't as weak as I was led to believe. They will still struggle but folks will have to play to beat them, which is a very good thing for this league.
In Hamburg, Strong's girls lost in jamboree action to Star City and Hamburg. These setbacks mean nothing. I don't know about Hamburg but Star City is always tough to beat.
The Lady Bulldogs should be okay. If the current roster remains intact and healthy, they will be a factor in the postseason.
I'm also excited about what Jamie Ball is doing in Junction City. The young coach tried to get into either of the preseason jamborees but was too late. The Lady Dragons are working hard for Ball, who inherits a team with little to no depth. The athletes are there, especially with the apparent healthy return of Jasmine Moore from knee surgery. The senior looked good when I watched them shoot around last week.
The jury is still deliberating on Norphlet's future. From what I've seen and heard, it could go either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home