Sunday, December 24, 2006

Now that I'm retired

Since I haven't played a serious game of basketball in about four years, now, I guess I can officially announce my retirement. Check for the announcement on the crawler on ESPN2.
For a guy who loved playing the game for more than 30 years, I can't believe I've actually given it up. I'm not sure why I quit playing. I guess it could have something to do with the extra hundred pounds I'm hauling around in my gut.
I could get into shape but I don't think I could ever compete like I did when I was younger. In any event, I'm not motivated enough to find out.
I do miss it a little.
I miss the hand-to-hand combat under the basket.
I miss playing against my buddies.
I miss talking trash.
I miss opponents trying to figure out if I'm right handed or left handed.
I miss my lefthand jump hook.
I miss the feeling of being in the zone, knowing the ball is going in as soon as it leaves my hand.
I miss playing on the dirt court with dust and rocks, tree roots, a wooden backboard and a bent rim.
I miss hearing the words, 'run it back.'
I miss playing against strangers and having to figure out their game.
I miss setting hard picks.
I miss practicing a move by myself, then using it in a pickup game and it works.
I miss playing one-on-one with my brother.
I miss shooting from way downtown.
I miss playing after the rain, using the mudholes on the court as screens.
I miss hearing the words, 'one mo to see 'em go.'
I miss playing hard.
I miss drinking water straight out the hose between games.
I miss the feeling of invincibility, not worrying about possible injury.
I miss trying to dunk.
I miss playing in the dark.
I miss whooping somebody's butt.
I miss being the underdog.
I miss playing while girls are watching.
I miss my step back jumper.
I miss picking teams.
I miss getting picked on a team.
I miss being on the team that stays on the court all day long.
I miss doing the dirty work.
I miss playing the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home