Monday, January 29, 2007

Am I wrong for cheering?

As I watched Norphlet beat Junction City 33-29 in overtime Monday night, I leaned over and asked Strong coach Gerrald Koonce, "is it bad that I'm pulling for Junction City?"
As a reporter, it's my job to be unbiased, especially when covering an event that involves two local teams. I've always prided myself on being able to cover events from a neutral perspective.
Obviously, I'm a human being and sometimes, deep down inside, I root for one team to do well because I like the players or coach. But, I'm proud to say I don't think it has ever shown in my writing.
Anyway, Monday was a little different. The Lady Dragons have struggled mightily this season both on and off the court. As I watched them play so hard, desperately trying to get a win, I couldn't help but hope they would pull it out.
Koonce pointed out it was okay for me to root because I was pulling for the coach, instead of the team. There's some truth to that. I like Norphlet coach Justin Welch. He's a nice guy and a good, young coach. He's had his struggles in Leopard Land but he ain't seen nothing like what Jamie Ball is enduring in Junction City.
I was happy for Welch when he got his big win at Parkers Chapel.
Monday, I really wanted to see Ball get her big win against Norphlet.
It didn't happen, despite an incredible effort from her players. I felt bad for the kids, too. When you give it everything you've got, you deserve a moment of celebration.
The Lady Dragons may or may not get that big victory this year. The roster is getting smaller and smaller and the season is getting shorter and shorter.
I know it's probably wrong for me to say this but, I'm rooting them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home