Monday, February 26, 2007

See ya later Glenwood . . . Not!

Well, I made it out of Glenwood alive and well. Now, it's off to Danville.
Kind of like walking out of the desert into the Dead Sea.
Congratulations to the Lady Bulldogs for making it to state when no one thought they could. Everyone knows Strong's story so I won't re-tell it. But, you gotta give Coach Koonce and his girls credit. They lost a lot of ammunition and still carried a target on their back.
After a long season, here they are again.
I don't care what happens this week. They've already done good.
As far as the regional tournament, Mt. Ida did a good job as the host school. They gave me a front row seat, fed me and gave me everything I needed to do my job.
All that being said, we have got to get the tournament back in Union County next year. I told Parkers Chapel coach Mark Young, I'll pitch in a dollar out of my own pocket if it'll help.
The fans up there are a pain. The officiating was spotty with very few close calls going to teams from the 7A-East conference.
I don't know if Norphlet's girls got cheated but they didn't get any breaks. The Lady Leopards still had their fate in their own hands at the free throw line so, I can't go crazy about their loss to Mt. Ida, although calls didn't go their way down the stretch.
Coach Young played after Junction City's boys and said, when he saw James Anderson get knocked down twice on drives to the basket with no fouls called, he knew his Lady Trojans were in trouble. If Anderson can't get a call, nobody from this area is going to get one.
I was proud of the Lady Bulldogs for the way they handled themselves in the third place game against Mt. Ida. I told Koonce afterward, there's no way I would've been so composed. In fact, I would've been ejected.
It was a rough week.
Strong's boys did the smart thing and hurried off the court after their win over Caddo Hills on Saturday. Those Indians' fans were enraged and could've gotten even uglier than they already were.
All the teams from our area who made it through Mt. Ida and on to Danville definitely earned it, the hard way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home