Thursday, March 01, 2007

Marvel not marvelous

I said I was not going to the gym early on Thursday. But, duty calls so when Strong coach Gerrald Koonce said he was taking the Lady Bulldogs to the state tournament to watch the one o’clock game, since I needed to talk to him for a preview, I loaded up and drove to Danville early.
Unfortunately, Coach Koonce either flat-out lied to me or he simply had a last-minute change of plans. I’ll choose to believe the latter.
I arrived at the gym early, tape recorder in hand but my interview subject was nowhere to be found. I sat and watched a decent game, which saw Rector’s girls beat Augusta. Next up was a boring encounter in which Earle dispatched of Clarendon in a boys matchup.
Still, there was no Koonce on the premises.
I thought that was a bad game until the girls of Bay and Marvel stepped on the floor. Bay has a decent team but Marvel?
Well, it’s a marvel they made it to state.
Marvel would’ve lost to Stephens by 20 points, easily.
They were the worst team I’ve ever seen in a state tournament. That’s what consolidation and reclassification has done. There are now pockets in the state where the talent level has pretty much dried up, which leads to the occasional horrible team in the state tournament.
The really unbelievable thing was Marvel was the No. 3 seed in the region. That means they actually beat a team in the tournament. The team they beat was Hazen, which upset Buffalo Island Central in the first game of the tournament.
I watched Hazen Thursday night against Mineral Springs. Hazen isn’t real good, either but they do scrap. Mineral Springs didn’t have a whole lot of trouble with them but I still don’t know how they lost to Marvel.
There must’ve been a forfeit or something.
Anyway, after about a minute of marveling at Marvel, it was time to get something to eat. I ate and began watching another game before Koonce and his Lady Bulldogs finally showed up.
I know he’s got a lot on his mind as he ponders how to beat Carlisle. I’m going to let his little oversight go. Getting to the gym wasn’t a total waste. I did get to see perhaps the worst team in state tournament history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home