Monday, July 13, 2009

Text this!

I need to check my cell phone package to make sure I have unlimited texting. If I don't, I might be running out of 'em real soon.
The local coaching situation has my phone blowing up. I'm getting asked lots of questions. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers.
Phillip Lansdell, El Dorado's new AD is doing a great job of keeping me in the dark. I know John Traband has left Bearden and will be the new girls coach at Hampton. I know, and this is pending board approval, Hampton's Bryan Sanders will be assistant football and head softball coach at El Dorado. And, Adam Bishop is the new softball coach at Parkers Chapel.
There, you know everything I know. That didn't take long, did it?
I'm also getting lots of queries about former El Dorado coach Corey Smith and his legal troubles. Unlike Magnolia Banner sports editor Chris Gilliam, I'm not going to wade in to waters that deep. This isn't like a bad call at a ball game. This is someone's freedom and career. I don't write columns or even blogs about that.
Hopefully, the truth will be revealed and if he did what he's accused of doing, he will be punished accordingly. If he didn't do it, I would hope he'd get his life and career back.
Back to the coaching circles, former Union player and son of Coach Gary Don Smith, Josh Smith is on the prowl for a coaching gig. If bloodlines are an indicator, he could be a bright new coaching star.
Personally, I think both Josh Smith and Sharonda Davis would be perfect for Junction City's opening. It's a low-pressure job with minimal expectations and the Lady Dragons do have talent. I'd really love to see Sharonda working with that young post player the Lady Dragons have.
Anyway, good luck to those two and all the other young, aspiring coaches. The profession needs some new blood. I'm just happy these kids had the good sense to go into coaching and not journalism.
Speaking of journalism, my book is coming along nicely, thank you. I sent an early draft to Brad Slatton and he gave me some good reviews, which definitely boosted my spirits. Maybe I really am on the right track with this thing.
Turns out, it might not be a novel but what they call a novella, which is basically a short novel. To be considered a novel, the book needs between 70,000 and 100,000 words. Mine will be closer to 50,000. I don't want to add a bunch of stuff just to get the word count up and bog down the story.
I'll keep you posted on this little project and, by the way, thanks for asking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home