Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Time for the finals

The WNBA Finals are here and I'm both pleased and disappointed at the same time. Obviously, I'm ecstatic to see some new blood in the spotlight. San Antonio makes its first finals appearance. The Silver Stars are one of the fun teams to watch. They play outstanding team defense, actually run an offense and have outstanding individual talents that come together in a team concept.
On the downside, San Antonio's opponent is Detroit. The Shock have been in the finals in something-like four of the last five years. They were in the finals last year. I'm sick of the Shock.
Detroit's claim-to-fame is Badboy coach Bill Laimbeer, who has built an organization in his own image. I don't like Detroit. This is a team built on bigger, stronger, meaner.
They don't beat their opponents. They bully them.
Detroit has a deep bench filled with tough, hard-nosed, physical, nasty players. They foul. They foul hard. They foul all night long.
The Shock's style is simply beat on their opponents until they either submit or until the referees get tired of blowing the whistle.
In a way, this is a classic confrontation. San Antonio is finesse. Detroit is power.
However, the WNBA isn't known for its officiating. Watch and see, Laimbeer will complain, yell, scream and intimidate until he gets the style he wants.
That's not good for my Silver Stars. More than that, it's not good for the WNBA. It's not entertaining. This league needs an entertaining series in the worst way.
I think the games will be close and competitive, which is enough for me and the serious basketball fan. But, for the casual fan, this won't be a lot of fun to watch.
I hope I'm wrong. I'll definitely be watching.
Go Silver Stars!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home