Friday, May 30, 2008

Never question me again

Former News-Times photographer Steven Bridges has offered a few comments about my recent blogs. Bridges has relocated to Knoxville and is all of a sudden, a big Lady Vols' basketball fan. He wants me to comment on Candace Parker and her impact in the WNBA, which I will in a little while.
But, Mr. Bridges today took issue with my blog on not having a specific award for Female Athlete of the Year. As I said, we name an Athlete of the Year, which can go to a male or a female.
I have my own reasons, which I stated. But, I'm open to hearing opposing views and really like to hear comments.
I can't figure out how to let me readers click a link on the blog to post a comment but here is my email address: burns.tony@sbcglobal.net
Feel free to offer your opinions, even if they are different from mine. Who knows, you might even change my mind on something.
My boy Bridges will probably never change my mind on anything. But, here is his opposing view to my decision to not name a Female Athlete of the Year.
"I am surprised at you. For some one that is so big on women's sports and you don't have a female athlete of the year. Yes the talent may suck some years. But you still have to have one player that sticks out above there rest. Besides if you set that goal out there, just maybe the girls may work harder to get it. As for the multiple sports. They don't have to excel at several sports to be an athlete of the year. Come on you mentioned Amanda McCurdy, she was a great golfer, but really what other sports did she excel at, marathon traveling or yard mowing? That is some of my thoughts and the way it should be."
Anyway, Bridges made one or two decent points. But, I don't ever want to be in a position where I have to give an award to someone who doesn't deserve it. The girls in Union County are getting better every year and we're almost there. I just want to make sure.
By the way, if you email me a comment about something I've blogged about, I may post it on the blog unless you tell me specifically not to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home