Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It's MY time

Memorial Day was the first day in more than a month where I didn't do something job related. No games. No stories. No interviews on the phone. Nothing.
It was nice. Didn't get anything accomplished but it was still sweet.
I got another week's vacation coming up and I anticipate doing a lot more of the same. I can hardly wait.
The high school athletic season has gotten longer with more sports and more athletes. The months of June and July are pretty much the only down time we get. We're supposed to cover the local golf tournaments but, except for a couple, it's hard to take them seriously. I mean, come on - best ball. What kind of a format is that.
My summers are usually spent trying to keep up with some of our more advanced young athletes. I just talked to Elizabeth "Lizzie Babee" Wells, who has an ambitious summer golf season coming up before she takes her game to SMU.
We also have a young tennis prodigy in Irene "Romanian Queen" Jadic, who has her summer and fall schedule. Plus, we have a couple tracksters in Chasity Hay and Alecia Williams, who are competing with NCA Elite this summer and will be trying to qualify for the AAU National Track & Field Championships again.
See, I haven't even mentioned all the AAU basketballers we still have. Strong coach Gerrald Koonce told me he has several girls playing. I know El Dorado always has girls playing. Charlotte Bradley's dad stopped me the other day and said she's playing for Kamikazee. I think Parkers Chapel even has a couple girls playing ball this summer.
There's also basketball team camps, including the one El Dorado will be hosting. Magnolia has a summer league that will include some of our local girls teams as well.
Of course, I failed to mention all the summer softball that will include a lot of our area players.
Hmmm. Did I say June and July were our SLOW months?
Well, they will be for me. I listed all of the activities going on and I ain't covering none of it. I'm old and fat. My plans this summer are to get older and fatter.
See ya when school starts, suckers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home