Sunday, May 18, 2008

El Dorado finally has track team

Well the high school athletic season is pretty much over. I must say it ended on a good note for me personally. I was quite proud of El Dorado's girls state runner-up showing in track. I have to congratulate Coach John Frazier for doing a great job.
To be honest, I have no idea about Frazier's coaching skills in track. He did a great job in putting athletes in different events to accumulate as many points as he could. But, is he the next John McDonnell? I don't know about that.
What Frazier did that impressed me so much was he actually went out and recruited athletes. I've wondered aloud many times how a school the size of El Dorado can be so shorthanded when it comes to girls sports.
For years, I'd go to a track meet at El Dorado and see two or three girls competing. For a couple of years, Strong, which doesn't even have a track, actually had more girls on its track team than El Dorado.
How ridiculous is that?
I knew there were more athletes roaming the halls and sure enough, Coach Frazier went and found some of them.
I asked other El Dorado coaches why they never went and looked for athletes and the response I got was, "I'm not begging a kid to come out."
Frazier didn't beg Irene Jadic to come out for track. All he did was tell her he needed a distance runner on the team.
Frazier tried to work with coaches in other sports. He didn't try to steal athletes, he simply wanted to share them. This approach has worked for hundreds of years at small schools.
El Dorado's track team showed it can work at the big schools, too. In addition to Jadic, basketball players like Whitney Frazier came out late in the year along with soccer players and golfers.
They didn't join the team because they saw a signup sheet on a wall somewhere. Frazier went and got them.
I must congratulate the coach and the Lady Wildcats for their success. El Dorado couldn't even field a relay team two years ago. Now, it has the second best track team in the state.
Thank you Coach Frazier for proving me right. I knew there were female athletes at El Dorado. I'm happy you found them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home