Monday, May 05, 2008

All Arkansas Team announced

The Democrat-Gazette finally came out with its All-Arkansas Basketball Team on Sunday.
Tennessee signee Shekinna Strickland of Morrilton was named Miss Basketball.
Duh!
Carlisle's Julie Inman, who signed with Arkansas, was on the first team. Fairview's Destinee Rogers was put on the third team.
I saw about four names on the first and second teams who, in my opinion, aren't as good as Rogers. Then again, with the Democrat-Gazette, I'm happy they remembered to include her at all.
Of the players mentioned that I've seen, Dumas' Whitney Hameth (2nd team) is okay but not better than Rogers. EPC's Jordan Madden, although I haven't seen her play in two years, is nice but I can't believe she's top five in the state.
Northside's Marion Kursh (2nd team) could be top five but she's inconsistent, some might even say lazy. I've watched Watson Chapel's Whitney Lee (3rd team) for three years now and I'm still waiting to be impressed.
All these lists are subjective and have to be taken with a grain of salt.
I still think these teams, chosen by media, are more accurate than the coaches' teams. I'm sorry guys, but awards like All State and All Star have become a joke.
England's Sharnice Reed was named second team All-Arkansas. The girl is THAT good. She was by far the best player in that conference but, she didn't make All State.
The fact that she didn't make All State makes the whole All State Team bogus.
It's been a political piece of crap for several years now. Can you believe Maranda Parker of Strong NEVER made All State?
I remember a few years ago a girl at Union named Mary Beth Gilmore terrorized an entire league, yet didn't get All State
It happens and it happens a lot.
That's why in recent years, I've downplayed the All State selections just a little. It's tough because I don't want to belittle the players who do receive the honor. But, it has become political, it's difficult to take seriously.
The Democrat-Gazette doesn't get it right, all the time. But, at least when a player gets looked over, it's because someone was too lazy to do the research and not because of politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home