Sunday, April 06, 2008

What a great career!

Union County girl Julie Smith said she will not play basketball next season at Arkansas Tech. Smith came off the bench as a sophomore for the Golden Suns, who went 26-6 and advanced to the NCAA South Regional semifinals.
Smith led Union to the Class AA state championship as a freshman and the semifinals as a sophomore. She helped El Dorado to the 5A state quarterfinals as a junior and led Hot Springs Lakeside to the 4A state tournament as a senior.
Smith started quickly as a freshman at Arkansas Tech before tearing her ACL midway in the season. This season, she played in 23 games, averaging 2.7 points. She hit 20-of-36 field goals, including 17-of-33 from 3-point range.
Giving up the sport she loves was a difficult decision. It's a decision that's usually made for the athlete.
"I always knew that I would have to give up basketball sometime," she said. "It just came a little quicker that I thought. As much as I love it and am going to miss it, my parents, yeah my dad, and I believe this is my time to let it go. It has been a great experience for me, and I am thankful for the chance to get to play on a winning team. I am actually a little excited about just working out and playing pickup for fun and not worrying about doing every little thing right. Also, it will give me a little more time to focus on my classes and maybe have some kind of social life. Thanks for all the people that have supported me throughout the years."
Congratulations Julie on a great career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home