Tuesday, March 18, 2008

U-S-A

I felt I needed to clarify what I said in my previous blog about Becky Hammon not being invited to the training camps for USA Basketball.
As it turns out, she had scheduling conflicts when some of the earlier competitions were being held. Because she couldn't make them, the spots on the Olympic team weren't made available to her.
At least, that's what I've been told by people associated with the USA Women's Basketball program.
I emailed my girl, Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman (how's that for name dropping?) and this is what she told me.
"Becky is a terrific player and should have gotten a shot at usa basketball. She wasn't able to adjust her schedule and make it to the required training camps!! It's unfortunate, but it happens. I'm not down with her possibly playing for Russia."
Hammon finds herself in a difficult position. If she suits up for Russia, a lot of people will consider her a traitor. But, there isn't a spot for her on the U.S. Team and she is 30, so this will probably be her only shot at playing in the Olympics, which is the ultimate goal for any athlete.
Personally, I hope she plays for Russia and leads Russia to a win over the USA in the gold medal game. But, she should accept her gold medal then excuse herself from the podium when the Russian national anthem is playing.
Basketball is basketball but Americans don't salute another country's flag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home