Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Highs and lows of coaching

ROSBORO - Parkers Chapel’s Jamie Ball has only been in the coaching business a couple of years. She’s already experienced enough highs and lows to last awhile.
Ball was on top of the world Saturday when Genoa Central upset Fouke to win her conference tournament championship.
Wednesday, it doesn’t get much lower for a coach as Ball’s top-seeded Lady Dragons were upset by fourth-seeded Drew Central 54-42.
Genoa’s season ended at 14-11, one game away from the Class 3A state tournament.
The Lady Dragons trailed 8-6 after one quarter and 18-16 at the half.
But, Genoa wilted against the Lady Pirates’ fullcourt pressure, turning the ball over again-and-again. Drew Central scored the first nine points of the third and built a 35-20 lead.
Genoa fought back with a desperate charge. Britni Ramsey got busy on the offensive boards and Chevi Green nailed a 3-pointer as the Lady Dragons cut the deficit to 37-33 with 5:38 left in the game.
That was as close as they would get, however, as turnovers and defensive rebounding, the same factors that put Genoa in the hole, started to haunt Ball’s club again down the stretch.
“I think we came in overconfident. We came in as a first seed, which we don’t usually do,” said Ball. “I don’t know. We weren’t ready for the press. We weren’t ready for the press and we didn’t block out.”
The young coach admitted, she was caught off guard by Drew Central’s pressure.
“Yeah, everybody I talked to said their press wasn’t great or they didn’t press,” said Ball, who couldn’t hide her displeasure as she purposely waited several minutes before joining her team in the lockerroom.
“I’m very disappointed,” said Ball. “Coming in first seed and not even making it to state, it puts you right back down.”
If there was a bright spot, the coach could think back to where she was this time a year ago. After a tumultuous season at Junction City, she’s happy with her current squad.
“This is still a lot better,” said Ball. “I’m happy about the team. I’m happy about the kids that I coach. I’m looking forward to next year. It’s still a great experience, even thought we lost.”
* * *
After beating Parkers Chapel 37-34 Saturday night in the 2A 7-East District Tournament championship game, Stephens’ coach Gail Kimbell had this to say about Lady Trojans’ coach Mark Young.
“I think he’s one of the smartest and one of the finest coaches around here,” said Kimbell. “I appreciate the opportunity to coach against him because you’re never going to get better if you don’t go against the best. Every time I go against him, he challenges me to step up and make me think, ‘what can I do?’ I can appreciate him for bringing that to me. He’s actually making me a better coach.”
* * *
Coach Kimbell was bitterly disappointed after her top-seeded Lady Roadrunners were eliminated by Caddo Hills on Wednesday. I overheard part of the coach’s postgame interview with Camden News sports editor Kelly Blair.I won’t repeat all of it. But, part of her comments included the phrase, “I think we got robbed.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home