Thursday, January 31, 2008

Not a bad day off

I chose to go out to Parkers Chapel on my day off Thursday. The Lady Trojans played Bearden and, although I expected PC to win, I still wanted to see the game and keep some stats.
It was a good couple of hours. Parkers Chapel looked good in its mercy rule victory.
Dana Gray was red-hot, scoring 20 points in the first half, including four 3-pointers in a row. Freshman Savanna Langston continues to improve and the Lady Trojans forced some turnovers with their press.
Overall, it was a good game for the local team - a performance I was glad I saw.
It was a fun night overall, actually.
At halftime, former Union All-Stater Jeni (Saunders) Martin shot free throws for charity. Jeni missed the first free throw. Actually, it was a practice shot and she air balled it. But, she proceeded to hit 8-of-10, including probably the last five or six in a row.
She actually showed a better touch than she did in high school. Her sister Teri Poole was almost as happy as she was when Jeni made the game-winning shot in the state tournament as a senior.
Seeing Jeni and both her sisters was a fun reminder of those ol' Lady Cyclone days.
Like I said, it was a fun night all around. Mike LaRue let me sit at the scorer's table - an honor normally reserved for white people. The ladies running the clock fed me chicken fingers and fries and, when PC triggered the mercy rule, one of the women started singing a mercy rule song, "Run the clock, run the clock, yeah, yeah, run the clock."
You won't find entertainment like that on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home